May 27 Camp II
Well, it's been a very difficult day here at Camp II on Everest. Emotionally
draining and disappointing for the team as a whole. We received weather
forecasts that contradict our optimism of the last few days on our move up. It
seems that Chomolungma is not ready to have climbers on her upper reaches.
These forecasts were the end of some of the team members' optimism and
motivation. Therefore we are losing 3 teammates tomorrow morning that have
decided to head back to BC and onward towards home. The reason for this is
commitments at home as well as a general feeling that this season is just not
'the one'. The mountain has been unpredictable this season and Ron, Nigel and
Kevin all feel it is the time to heed that message. Cathleen is already in BC
waiting for us and Dianette and Jeanne are already home. That leaves 6 plus
the guides to wait it out a few days more and see if something changes. As I
sit in my tent with Lakpa Rita by my side we're both shocked at how loud the
freight train winds are 8,000 ft. above our camp.
Vern, David and Kent are going to give Camp III a try tomorrow in part due to
time constraints. The rest of us will wait and see if these temperamental
winds ease up. We are so sorry to be losing Ron, Nigel and Kevin who really
are an essential part of the heart of this team. This already is the most
unique season in all of the Sherpa's memory and may turn out to be the season
"Everest needed a rest". Though we still hope that our luck changes in the
next couple of days.
Accepting the reality of this season and our chances of getting up gave
everyone a chance to reflect on the experience this afternoon. There's much to
be learned from these high places and the uncertainty of the outcomes here.
We will send an update tomorrow.
Thinking of you all back home.
All the best,
Vern Tejas, Willi Prittie, Dave
Morton, Jose Luis Peralvo, and Lakpa Rita Sherpa will lead the Alpine Ascent
team on Everest this Spring. They will attempt the standard South East ridge
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.