Gavin just off the phone and
left an update for everyone.
Basically the weather looks like it is turning now for the better. On the
North side several people have summited but on the south side no one has made
it up yet. Teams have tried but so far all have failed due to weather and the
lack of fixed lines above the South Col. Yesterday there was a large meeting
between all the teams at base camp and the commercial teams are sending up ten
Sherpas over the next three days to get the fixed lines set in place in a bid
to open up the higher camps and summit route.
Gavin himself is presently in Gorak Shep and is heading to Base Camp tomorrow.
If the weather holds he will then go straight to camp two then camp four with
a provisional summit attempt on the 28th / 29th May. Some teams are looking as
far as the 2nd / 3rd June for summit attempts which is unprecedented in
Everest history. Usually the summit window - when the high winds lift off her
summit, last for a short time in May.
Gavin is in great form and feeling good. Yesterday he walked down to Pheriche
in two hours and met Helena and the trek team who are coming up to Base Camp
to meet him. Helena was reporting on the Moving Mountains project in Bumburi
and showing Gavin loads of photos of the work which has been undertaken. The
wiring of the houses is nearly complete, the power house, which we thought
would be the size of a shed is now nearly ready and the size of a house! Half
the generator is also now in place and all is boding well. The work done by
the trek teams has been fantastic and very soon the villagers will have
electricity for the first time in the regions history.
Gavin himself sends a big thank you to all who have been involved and to
everyone who is following his story and donating to make this project and all
the others in Kenya happen.
Gavin is currently packing up a lot of his kit. As soon as he comes of the
mountain he has to quickly get back to Lukla and then on to the village for
the opening ceremony of the HEP and the Gompa (monastery) MM has been
building. He then has to get back to Kathmandu and into London for his
connecting flight to meet up with the Elbrus team in Moscow then after that he
flies directly to Tanzania to meet the Kilimanjaro and Aficamp teams. So he's
now scratching his head wondering what kit to pack for the next three months
of expeditions in Russia and East Africa.
Well that's all for now. Hopefully the audio blogger will be up and running
again soon and we'll have some more updates from the mountain!
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.