We've been here for a long time,
we've been looking at the meteo for a long time, patience ends and we get
tired, always thinking with coherence between the will to go up and above all
knowing how much we risk being up there with bad weather.
It is not the time to say
let's go up without looking at the weather we would have.
Personally, I am mad of being
here so many days, standing the bad weather, watching the snow fall, having
cold, I remember the night in CIII, inside the tent, we had -20ºC, very cold,
now it is not the moment to decide and take the wrong decision, but I have to
admit that I would like to take my gear and go up the mountain, I wish we
could climb, I would like to, but we all know that it doesn't depend on how
the climbers feel, the mountain has the last word and for now it is still mad
and blowing, maybe Everest also gets a cold and this year got a flu, bad luck,
a thing of fate, but it happens this way.
People get tired and go away,
many say this year is impossible, I think that standing here waiting for the
three days of good weather to come, that is an achievement.
Thank God we are three
teammates and, truth and experience, we have not been wrong so far, some of
the people that attempted the summit have had to go, others even worst, they
went away frostbitten or injured. The mountain is very close, almost on top
of us, but the distance makes it impossible to cover when you have winds of
some kilometers per hour that make it impossible to make a few steps.
The day we went up to camp
III, we suffered slight frostbite in the tips of the fingers, no mount is
worth the trouble, to leave a part of us there.
Some days ago they left us a
video of an expedition of Everest in 2004, they were from Chile, some of the
climbers were 50 years old and with little experience, but the weather was
good and they reached camp IV, and in the night they attempted the summit,
when leaving the tent at 8,000 meters they had -10ºC, not a perfect night but
incredibly good, with no wind, the mountain is like that and maybe last year
Everest had a load of medicines to avoid getting sick and it all went well, on
May 15 they reached the summit with sun and a magnificent view.
Now I ask myself, what is
more difficult, to attempt the summit or to resign to it?
We have been a lot of time
here to do the mountain, to try to climb to the highest altitude of the world,
we are here for that, because we like it and we wish to reach that summit and
have that unique view, Makalu, Cho Oyu, and down there, Lhotse. I feel so
much like climbing, that's why we are still here, that's why we haven't quit,
that's why we are still waiting with the hope that one day we see three
friends hugging each other, with tears in their eyes and enjoying the moment.
What would be more difficult?
To go back home or to stay here until they say it is over, the monsoon is at
the end of the valley, and it comes wanting to make this a little more
difficult and wants to get everybody wet here.
We have minutes for
everything, we are excited sometimes, but we would get depressed if it wasn't
for the friends by our side, there is time to think a little about everything,
the weather, the wind, and we have another danger, as the days go by, the
Khumbu Icefall is worse, the seracs tumble down and the ice melts.
These are the last days and
we can't be wrong, the decisions have to be taken calmly knowing what we are
going to do, our heart tells us up, as high as possible, but as I said, after
so many days waiting for the meteo, it is not the best moment to oversee it
and make a senseless attack, we are people willing to climb up to 8,848
meters, but we still have some reason and we will use it until the end, no
matter if we go up or down, that will be the right decision.
There are a few people left,
a few climbers, a lot quit, we are around a hundred waiting for that window,
few years have seen so few summits.
A good climber is the one
that grows with adversities, but also the one that know how to read ridges,
kinds of snow, dangers of avalanches and instead of having trouble he avoids
it staying a few days inside his tent until the storm passes and the summits
are still there, with more snow, with more ice, but always there waiting for
us to come back and enjoy them.
Maybe you want to know if
this is an excuse... It is not and every good climber will understand me and
will know that sometimes it is better to resign the summit than to come back
with bandaged hands, you remember I am sure, very close to the summit of Alba,
some of us with our hairs standing up, throwing away the piolets and canes, it
also happened to us in Punta Oliveiras Arenas, remember Jesus?
BC starts to fall apart, the
tents are left in the wind, the ice melts and the rocks fall down, last night
David went out the tent and in that moment an avalanche of rocks fell down,
sparks were seen when rocks hit rocks, the landscape is changing and where
there was a big lake before, now there are rocks and a little ice.
The liaison officers say that
the Icefall is in bad conditions now, it is dangerous and it is falling down,
we will have to be careful but always knowing that we don't depend on
ourselves and the seracs can fall any day, any time.
I open my eyes, where am I?,
the other night in a sleeping bag, in a tent, with walls full of ice, the sun
went up a while ago, it is 7:30, as everyday my stomach tells me that I have
to exit from one tent to a smaller one.
I change clothes, fine socks
because it is not too cold in the morning. I open the double door and there
is another white day, it snowed hard yesterday, it was very cold, the
thermometer goes down and down every afternoon, I put on my sneakers and
glasses, I go out and feel the wind of the Himalayas.
The landscape is pretty,
today the summit of Nuptse can be seen and Pumori is impressive as always, I
think that there is no one else trying to do this peak, everybody has left.
There are no clouds, there is
little wind, as odd as it seems, nobody is going up or down the Khumbu on a
day like this.
All five of us get to the
mess tent, tea with milk and the cook brings us again bread as stone, maybe
some bird will break its beak trying to eat this Nepalese bread. Some have
cheese tortilla, others cereals as always, because David is resisting with
colored water and a lot of cereals.
The snow begins to melt,
stones fall from the front wall, pieces of seracs are heard tumbling down from
Pumori. Little by little BC is falling apart, everything changes, there are
even some tents hanging among the ice.
Birds come to BC, of
different colors, some with black head, others with red head, there are also a
lot of chovas, they are everywhere, the most daring birds enter the mess tent
searching for something to eat, it will be bad when they find the bread of our
cook. The truth is that they are very funny, and with pretty colors.
Everybody talks about the
meteo, the wind, when can we climb, as always there is nothing clear, in fact,
David is now doing some graphics with all the meteos we have since we arrived
to BC, he is comparing them and trying to figure out an evolution, to know how
wrong they are and how right they are when they forecast the weather, one
conclusion is that we can't trust them when they forecast more than three days
in the future. David is enjoying it, besides not giving the notebook away, he
is different, because this morning Jesus Calleja cut his hair and he trimmed
his mustache and beard himself.
Irivan also trimmed his
beard, he doesn't look like Endika anymore, now he looks like the modern with
goatee number two, he is very funny with his new look. Now we are five
teammates and we really get along well, we support one another and the days
pass by in a better way. We have a main objective, climb Everest and come
back down in one piece.
In the morning, doing tests,
some showers, David's hair cut, few news, we read the visitor's book, we cheer
up with your support, little news from Spain and the rest of the world, we
talk with the Sherpas, we take a walk around base exchanging information about
the weather, you see a little of everything. Every time they talk about a
different summit day, time goes by, but we are still here, we wish we have an
option, now we also know that we are in the descent curve, I mean in respect
to acclimatization and strength, because when the body is so much time in the
altitude it degrades and we lose the strength we had. A Brazilian saying goes
"mains un dia, mais un dolar" (another day, another dollar), we would be rich,
all the sayings have something to say.
While I write this, a small
avalanche has fallen right on the Khumbu Icefall, the thing gets ugly, there
is even a river going under the enormous cascade. Come on Expeadicts, a big
hug to everybody from 5,300 meters, among magnificent stones, but with
splendid views all around.
Translated from Spanish by
Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude
and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14
mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a
makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine
Fit, and even lighter
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.