Wednesday, June 1
Happy Birthday, John Gray
"Sherpa", Everest Summiter and Happy 15th summit to Apa Sherpa
At 6:30 am on May 31st, Apa
Sherpa, Dawa Nuru Sherpa and John Gray made it to the top of the world on
Mount Everest. It was Apa’s 15th trip to the top, Dawa’s 6th one and John made
his first ascent in time for his birthday, May 31st.
The road to getting to the
top was full of lots of waiting and much disappointment. After a fast
acclimatization during April, the Everest Climbing For A Cure Team was ready
for a summit in early May. Then, we waited and waited and waited....each day,
watching the calendar slip by. Weather reports were discouraging each day. One
day it would say "perfect weather" if you were already on the top and the next
day it would say, "don’t even think about a summit until mid-June." Our team
kept focused, however, and were prepared to summit at any time the weather
On May 25th, a storm blew
into camp overnight and many people awoke with the feeling that a summit would
be near, probably on the night of May 29th, morning of May 30th. Our team
packed up their stuff and headed up direct to Camp 2 so they would be in
position to make a summit attempt.
After they got up there,
however, the weather reports continued to predict terrible winds, extremely
low temperatures and no "summit window." Chuck Huss, Dan Smith and Julie Smith
made the difficult decision to pull their climb and they came down to Base
Camp on the afternoon of May 28th. That left, team members, John and Rob Chang
with Will Cross at Camp 2 hoping for better weather.
Just as a reminder to people,
here’s the camp rotation during a summit attempt. From Everest Base Camp
(17,500 feet) to Camp 2 (approx. 21,000 feet) takes between 6 and 10 hours.
(Earlier in the expedition, John had made the trip in 6 hours so the Sherpas
had started calling him "John Sherpa" since that was the time worthy of a
Sherpa.) Once at Camp 2, climbers typically take a rest day to gear up for the
After two nights at Camp 2,
the climber should leave Camp 2 around 6:00am and head up the Lhotse Face to
Camp 3 (approx. 24,000). This climb will take between 4 and 6 hours. Here, the
climber sleeps on a steep, exposed face on tent platforms chopped from the
The next morning, the climber
heads up from Camp 3 to Camp 4 aka "The South Col". On a good day Camp 3 to
Camp 4 takes 5 to 6 hours. The trick, according to Apa, is to leave Camp 3
earlier enough so that you can get into Camp 4 with enough time to rest
because the climber will need to leave Camp 4 that night to make the summit
Back to our team, the
original plan was for John and Rob to make their trip to Camp 3 on May 28th,
which would make their summit attempt on May 29/30. The winds on those date
promised to be calmer than any we had seen to this point. However, due to some
last minute concerns about line fixing, the three of them decided to wait
until May 30/31 for their summit attempt. They spent an extra day at Camp 2,
then on May 29th headed to Camp 3. 84 other climbers, however, decided to make
their summit attempt 29/30.
On the way to Camp 3, radio
contact became really spotty so I don’t have many details from that night.
John called down and asked for weather and was bummed to hear that May 30/31
was looking less than ideal. The winds were picking up and clouds were
84 climbers did decide to set
out for the summit on May 29/30, we believe about 40 of them summited. The
first summits on the south side this year by people such as Vern Tejas, Dave
Hahn and Shaunna Burke. These were also, the latest "first summits" of any
season. This has been a really weird year weather-wise.
While the 84 climbers were
making their summit attempt, John and crew were heading up from Camp 3. The
Sherpas, who had been hanging at Camp 2, made their way up from Camp 2 to Camp
4 and both Sherpas and Climbers rendezvous’d at Camp 4 to get ready for their
summit attempt. Since they would start their climb at 8:00 pm that night, it
was important for all of them to get as much sleep as possible to prepare for
Once the team woke up, there
was much discussion whether to make the summit attempt on the 30/31 because
the winds were blowing so hard. Apa had the team wait until 9:00pm, and, at
that point, even though the winds were howling and the snow was knee-deep, the
three climbers and four Sherpas (Apa Sherpa, Dawa Nuru Sherpa, Lakpa Nuru
Sherpa, and Pasang Temba Sherpa) started off for the summit.
Summit night moves in phases.
The climber moves from Camp 4 to "The Balcony" which will take between 4 and 6
hours. From the Balcony the climber goes to the South Summit (a trip that will
take 3 to 5 hours) and then, South Summit to Summit, with travel estimates of
2 to 3 hours. Those times are under good conditions. The climb on 30/31 night
was not good conditions and promised to take even longer.
Since our radios were on the
blitz, I kept track of the team’s progress through other teams who were making
their summit attempt as well. On the night of 30/31, we estimate there were 35
people going for the summit. Not that many given the size of the mountain, but
the other team’s were wonderful to keep me posted throughout the night on
conditions and position of our climbers.
It was a long, anxious night
until around 6:45 am, I got the radio call from John stating, "My Polar watch
says 29,100 feet and I’m calling from the summit." All of our Base Camp
erupted in great glee...yelling and shouting...clapping our hands. You can’t
imagine how happy it made all of these folks that "John Sherpa" along with Apa
and Dawa made it to the summit together.
They stayed there for a few
minutes taking photos, etc, then headed on down. Apa is coming all the way
down to Camp 2. John, according to Apa, is happily ensconsed in his tent at
Camp 4 and is doing really well.
The other team members are
also "fine." But it is unclear how many more summits we had because the radios
are on the fritz. We know that our friend Will Cross and Lakpa had to turn
around at the South Summit. Our hope is that Rob Chang, wearing his prized CW-X
pants, and Pasang Temba also summited, but we don’t have confirmation on that
yet. According to the Sherpa radio grapevine, however, we’ve heard that they
are safe wherever they are. We should have more information later today.
Sorry for the long email, but
since we’ve been so quiet, thought you wouldn’t mind some of the nitty-gritty
details. Hope all is well with you. Cheers. p.
Everest Climber, author and
motivational speaker. To book
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.