The climbing Legend Norbert
Joos summited Makalu in 2002 for his 11th 8000 meter
peak. In 2004, he summited Lhotse for number 12. Norbert Joos and Erhard Loretan were the first to summit
Annapurna via the
east ridge. This year he takes on
They reached camp 3 on 7600 meters on May 13th. For now
it is some older news, but still interesting.
International Kangchenjunga Expedition - 50 years after the first ascent.
Wendi, both from Switzerland share a climbing permit with an international
team. Two other team members are Araceli Segarra and Héctor Ponce de León.
3. and 4.
April: Today we start our journey to the big mountain. Renate brings me and
Wendi to Zurich airport for the Qatar Airways flight via Doha to the capital
of Nepal, Kathmandu. After an unplanned stop at Dehli we arrive in Kathmandu
with four hours delay. We are welcomed by Jangbu who brings us to the
beautiful Yak & Yeti hotel. The flight was long so we relax the rest of the
We meet Miss Hawley at 9 AM sharp. As always she wants to know all the details
of the team, but she also informs us about other expeditions in Nepal. All our
porters and Sherpa staff are already on their way to Taplejung in east Nepal.
Today I have only to collect my own personal gear. In the afternoon we visit
the Ministry of Tourism where we have the official Expedition briefing.
We get up late because all preparations are already done. This last day in
Kathmandu is to relax and to see some cultural highlights.
An early rise to catch the flight from Kathmandu to Suketar. Jangbu picks us
up with the bus at 6 AM and we drive to the airport. All the baggage items are
weighted and put in the aircraft. After three hours of waiting we get the
announcement that the flight is cancelled because the weather is too bad. With
our luggage we go back to the hotel. Hopefully we have better weather
Today we have good weather. After only 40 minutes we land in Suketar (2200
meter) on a beautiful but rather short grass-strip. Our Sherpa's and porters
are welcoming us and carry our luggage to the nearby lodge. From here we can
see the summit of Kangchenjunga, miles away. It looks like the mountain wants
to greet us, a good sign. Jetta and our cook have already prepared the first
lunch before we move on to the camp site at Lhali Kharka. It takes us two
hours to reach Lhali Kharka where we spend the first night in a very simple
9. to 11.
April: The next three days we hike trough a typical Nepali hillside landscape,
with many up and downhill tracks. Our goal is the last "real” village before
the Yalung valley, Sherpa Gaon at 2200 meters.
Today we go to the campsite at Tortung (3000 meters) in the Yalung valley.
Therefore we have to cross the 3310 meter high col Banite Banijang. It is a
hard job for our 90 porters and the last porter arrives late at night.
Today we hike through beautiful forest in the Yalung valley to Tsheram at 3800
After a short hike we arrive in Ramche at 4500 m. Here we exchange some of our
"lowland" porters for porters from Ghunsa which are more adapted to high
We leave from Ramche after 9AM because the next campsite will be on the Yalung
glacier. One hour later, at Oktang, we have stunning views on the entire
Kangchenjunga massif. This mountain is really huge! From Oktang it goes down
to the glacier which is covered with rocks. The next two days we hike over the
glacier until we reach the basecamp hill. The night on the glacier is very
hard for our porters. Luckily the weather is good.
The Yalung glacier seems endless, but after climbing the steep hill we reach
basecamp (5500 meter) in the afternoon. The long hike to this basecamp should
not be underestimated and we are lucky it only took us 9 days. The following
days we will use for acclimatization and relaxing.
The first day in basecamp. We are still a little tired and have the normal
small problems with high altitude.
We try to make a nice and comfortable place of basecamp as far as it goes.
In the middle of the night our Sherpa's wake us up. Pasan is seriously ill and
has fainted twice already. I ask Hector and Araceli for help. They give him an
injection with dexamethason which will help him to survive the night. At dawn
I call Jangbu with my sat phone and ask him to send a helicopter as soon as
possible. At about 10 AM the big MI 17 helicopter lands near basecamp, picks
up Passang and returns to Kathmandu. We are all relieved that he is safe now
and we hope that he will recover soon. After this serious incident we have the
prayer ceremony. We put the prayer flags in the wind and we hope they will
bring good luck for the ascent of Kangchenjunga. The rest of the day we sort
out the gear for tomorrow, when we will climb to camp 1 (6200
the first time.
At 7 AM the sun rises, time to wake up. About one hour later I, Wendi and our
three Sherpa’s depart from BC to make the route to camp 1. We put fixed ropes
on places were we consider them necessary. In the afternoon the weather turns,
bad but almost all of us reach the shoulder where camp 1 will be located. We
descent in a snowstorm to BC. We are happy we have opened the route to camp 1,
and therefore we have a rest day tomorrow.
Rest day in BC. We sort out the gear for the next days when we go to Camp 2.
Our three Sherpa’s, Wendi, Galosch and Tomi climb to Camp I today. I am not in
my best shape and turn back after just one hour. Also Hector does not feel
well enough to go to camp 1. So we and Araceli stay another day in BC.
Hector still does not feel good enough today. I have a small infection and
want to recover first before going higher. Wendi, Galosch and Tomi descent
from camp 1 in the afternoon while the three Sherpa’s went up to fix the route
to camp 2. They also come down to BC at 5 PM. They could make it to the last
crevasse under the steep ice section to camp 2. They report a lot of snow and
serious crevasses in between the
the steep section to camp 2.
Today Araceli, Hector and me climb to Camp I. Galosch goes with us and
carries rope for fixing. We spend a nice afternoon in camp 1 and shoot some
film. Galosh descends to BC. We hear via the radio that Alan Hinkes has
arrived in BC
We get up at 5 AM. The weather is not very good, but we prepare us for the
climb to camp 2. We want to continue the rope fixing work of the Sherpa’s. At
7 AM the sun hits the camp and I go to the traverse which leads to the
plateau. I lead the way. It becomes very hot in the sun. Hector takes over
half way. Above the plateau the route turns right via a small but dangerous
ice hang where we see the depot of our Sherpa’s. Above us it is hard to find a
route trough the steep area with big crevasses. Hector and I try to go up but
the way is blocked by a huge crevasse. While am sorting the ropes I suddenly
see that Hector tries to cross the crevasse on his own and falls in it, with
his belay. Araceli shouts loud and I try to calm her. I go to the rim of the
crevasse and try to find out if Hector is still alive. I am very happy when I
discover that he is, and even not hurt! A normal person would have been dead.
I fix a rope and lower it to him so he can use his Jumar to descend, followed
by his backpack. I am very happy that he is still alive! He survived a 20
meter fall in a crevasse. From now one we only go belayed with rope over the
glacier. Today I want to find a safe way up, avoiding this deadly labyrinth,
so the Sherpa’s don’t have to go trough this again next time. I send Araceli
back to a safe place while I try to get out of the labyrinth with Hector.
After making a traverse to the right we find a safe way up, avoiding the
crevasses. Now we have cleared the way to camp 2. At 6600 meter we make a
depot for the next time to finish the route to camp 2. At 1 PM we descend to
camp 1. I grab my things and descend to BC while Araceli and Hector stay in
camp 1. Maybe they want to think over the accident. After about one hour I am
back in BC where I tell what happened. I am so happy that nobody died. I ask
Alan to join our team for dinner.
Today it is the birthday of Wendi and Alan. We have bad weather in BC. AT 7 AM
I contact Araceli and Hector in Camp I via the radio. They come down in the
afternoon. Wendi and Galosch prepare themselves for carrying a load to Camp
1. They leave from BC at 10 AM. Wendi turns back after two hours because he
has a serious pain in his knee. It is better to turn around than to risk
permanent damage. The two from camp 1 arrive in BC in the afternoon. Hector
feels his knee hurts from the fall in the crevasse. I spend the afternoon
reading in a book written by Jamling Tenzing. At night we celebrate the two
birthdays with a real Swiss cheese fondue, just like at home.
Bad weather in BC. We stay here today and Galosch will also descend from camp
1. Everything is good except for the weather. Tonight we have the second great
Swiss cheese fondue party.
regards, Norbert Joos
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.