Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
Climb for Peace


   Mailing List

News (current)
   News Archives
   Seven Summits
   Readers Guide

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement






  K2 2007:  Denis and Serguey SUMMIT!!!

Copyright© Billy Pierson

3 October 2007 K2 Denis and Serguey. SUMMIT!!! SMS from Denis, 5-30 a.m. Moscow time: We're in C4, begin the descent. Yesterday we reached the top.

1 October 2007 K2 North Ridge. Denis and Serguey. 2 p.m. Moscow time. Karl Gabl from Austria give me the weather forecast for K2:
the meteorological model shows nearly continuous mostly light snowfall in the next days till Saturday. The wind situation: In the night to Tuesday wind speed up to 100 km/h and also the whole following week till Friday stormy conditions prevail. The average wind speed is around 80 /km/h on Top of K2 (mostly direction Southwest). In 7000 m wind should be around 40 to 50 km/h.

October, 1 SMS from Denis, 0-30 p.m. Moscow time: We're in Camp 4. The weather's very bad, no visibility. If the weather will give us the chance, we'll go up tomorrow.

September, 30 SMS from Denis, 3-00 p.m. Moscow time: We reached Camp 3. The weather's clear, windy, cold. We feel fine.

September, 29 SMS from Denis, 2-00 p.m. Moscow time: We have to finish our ambitious plan: we can't reach K2 North Ridge due to avalanche danger. We decided to climb normal route. The weather's very bad. We reached Camp 2.

September, 28 SMS from Denis, 2-00 p.m. Moscow time: The weather's bad, avalanches on K2 North Face, too dangerous. We'll wait here 2 days, then will try to cross to the normal route (NW ridge, Japanese) because we wouldn't reach that route from the BC in such deep snow.

September, 28 SMS from Denis, 12-00 a.m. Moscow time: Is there the weather improving in nearest days? We're in so bad conditions here - it's horrible... It looks like this blizzard finish only in Spring...

September, 28 SMS from Denis, 8-00 a.m. Moscow time: the snow blizzard began today night, no visibility now, avalanches are falling from the North Face. We're obliged to wait 1-2 days. We're chronically unsuccessful in this expedition...

27 September 2007 : SMS from Denis, 5-40 pm Moscow time: We will start tomorrow. There will be no messages and sms from us during 10 days - we'll leave our thuraya phone here, on the glacier. We feel well. 
SMS from Denis, 2-40 pm Moscow time: we are under the beginning of our route. Waiting the affordable weather, but... here's real winter. But we hope for a chance for our new route...

Earlier Update: Acclimatization push on Japanese route:

16 September 2007 K2 North Ridge. Denis and Serguey. SMS from Denis 15-00 (Moscow time): "We reached 8300, but there was very dangerous avalanche prone snow, so we turned back. Now we're in C4. All's OKl" Two days earlier Denis and Serguey climbed to C3. "The weather's good, we see Nanga, Latoks, Pamir... All the world as on the hand! But it's more snow than were two weeks ago when Kazakhs climbed". They have to complete their acclimatization, then rest about 5 days before start to new route. But the weather forecast shows very bad weather after Sep., 19. In Saturday Denis and Serguey reached Camp 4. In the evening they went up to look at the couloir which led to the summit, find the way to the glacier and decided to start on 5 a.m. for the summit attempt - as Denis wrote in SMS on 7 pm when the duo returned back to the C4 tent. He added, that they're afraid of cold, because didn't plan summit bid when left BC and haven't enough warm clothes for it.

Update  K2 NW ridge Kazakhstan expedition has went home...

However, K2 North Ridge: Denis Urubko and Serguey Samoilov are there ...... They are preparing for the first climb via the North Ridge (real North Ridge, not North-West ridge, which was climbed first by Japanese expedition). Today Denis and Serguey reached Camp 2  - it's their acclimatization push. Their plan is to reach 7800, then to descend to BC, and after the rest to begin the climb of new route.

Update 8/31/2007: 31 August 2007 K2 NW ridge Kazakhstan expedition. Radio contact 10.00 (Almaty time) Puchinin is descending, now he's about 7500 and feels well. Serfuey Bogomolov turned back at 8200 too. Pivtsov and Zhumayev are climbing further. Puchinin has to wait Bogomolov and then both will descend to the "Tooth"

Radio contact 8-00 (Almaty): We spent the night in C4. YEsterday we fixed 400 m uo alomg the rocks and appeared under the rock wall. We begin to climb it and to find the way. Angrew Puchinin turned back.
Ervand Iljinsky looks on climbers in binoculars from the Middle Camp and corrects the direction.

Update 8/30/2007: Aug, 30 Serguey Bogomolov called today that team climbed 3 pitched above C4. The couloir is avalanche dangerous, so they decided to overcome it via rocks, so they will climb the variant, different of the original Japanese route.

Today the Kazakh team is ascending to Camp 4. The weather becames better (all the way to C3 they did in very bad weather - snow blizzard, strong wind) They hope for the summit bid tomorrow or the day after.

Today 4 p.m. radio contact with the team: they were about 100 m below C4. The main problem is to find the safe way from the ridge to the glacier. Last time they have found the couloir, but it was too dangerous. Now, after snowfalls, they hope that the couloir is safe enough, in other case they have to overcome via the rocks.

Denis Urubko and Serguey Samoilov have reached BC Aug 25, next day brought some equipment to 5200. 27-28 they rested in BC. Then they're planning the acclimatization push via normal route (NW ridge) till 7800. Perhaps, they are ascending now, Denis hasn't written yet today.  After acclimatization they hope to begin their alpine-style climb via N Face.

Update 8/27/2007: K2 NW ridge: The weather is bad. Puchinin, Brodsky and Bogomolov reached Camp 1 aug, 25, Maxut, Vassily and Alexander Sofrygin reach Roch teeth Camp.  Brodsky and Sofrygain decided not to go to the summit bid and yesterday they returned to BC.

K2 North Face: Denis Urubko and Serguey Samoilov arrived to BC with camels caravan. They are brave and yesterday left for the acclimatization push. (SMS from Aug 26, 15-15)

Update 8/17/2007: Various climbers still at high camp waiting on the weather break...

Update 8/15/2007: 15 August 2007 K2 NW ridge Kazakhstan expedition. Yesterday the team set Camp 4 at 7800. Then reached 8050 m. Chest-deep snow. Avalanche danger

26 June 2007 Kazakh K2 expedition (NW Ridge) start today from Almaty. Members are: Maxut Zhumayev, Vassily Pivtsov, Serguey Brodsky, Andrew Puchinin, Aggey Skopin, Malik Ismetov, Alexander Sofrygin, and Russian Serguey Bogomolov. The coach - Ervand Iljinsky. The team'll go to Bishkek, then to China by cars provided by their general sponsor - Astana Motors company. The last climb of the NW ridge route was accomplished by Russian (Togliatti) team in 1996. The NW ridge is often called as the North ridge, but it's geographically incorrect



Millet One Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14 mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine Fit, and even lighter Expedition footwear for mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold.  NOTE US SIZES LISTED. See more here.


A cold weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura® upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand See more here.




   Atlas snowshoes


   Big Agnes

   Black Diamond







   Edelweiss ropes
Eureka Tents






   Granite Gear



   Helly Hansen


Ice Axes


   Kavu Eyewear





   Life is Good


   Lowe Alpine




   Mountain Hardwear




   New England Ropes




   Outdoor Research




   Princeton Tec


   Rope Bags

   Royal Robbins




   Seattle Sports

Sleeping Bags

   Sterling Rope







   Tool Logic

   Trekking Poles
and more here


Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2005 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it