Home
   Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace
  
Contact

   Downloads
  
Educational
  
Expeditions
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews

   Mailing List
   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Search
   Seven Summits
   Snowboard
   Speakers
   Students
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




  Mountain Madness Gasherbrum II Expedition Update


Copyright© Billy Pierson

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #6

The Tibetan Mountaineering Association Climbing team summated GI on July 12th with 7 Tibetans and 4 Pakistani climbers in the early hours of the morning. The summit group consisted of 3 Tibetan sherpas including 1 who completed his 14th 8,000m peak.

We had hoped to climb back to camp I today but the forecast is still snowing and will continue for the next few days. Base camp is starting to look like a ghost town with all expeditions packing up for the season except the New Zealanders and ourselves.

We have a real loose plan to establish camp II on the 17th and Camp III on the 19th. With a possible summit attempt on the 20th if all goes well. Mark and Eric have opted for using supplemental since we have decide not too establish camp IV and rather have opted for a longer summit day from Camp III at 7,000m. We still have another 28 days left at Base camp so if all goes well we will give Gasherbrum I a try after our success on Gasherbrum II. That’s all for now, Phil Crampton.

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #5, July 12th 2007

Our weather forecast was for clouds in the morning and clear skies in the afternoon for the night of July. Going on this information we decided to depart base camp at 6:00 am rather than the usual 4:00 am to Camp I in order to use the cloud cover for protection against the sun. It was a perfect day, too perfect in fact, with clear skies all day which made the trip to Camp I extremely tiresome. By 11:00 am it was reading 110 degrees as we rolled in to the Advanced Base Camp.

We decided to take temporary shelter here under a tent sheet, and were joined by our Catalan friends for a quick nap. They decided to continue on to Camp 1 at 4:00 pm, against our advice that their might be weak snow bridges due to the extreme heat. We decided to stay the night at ABC and then continued on to Camp 1 early the next morning. We discovered that one of the Catalans had fallen into a crevasse the previous day and had broken two fingers. They were successful in extracting their friend from the crevasse but it had taken two hours and they were left exhausted from the experience. We reached Camp I to the thundering sounds of avalanches, a reminder that the previous days snowfall mixed with the high temps can be a bad recipe. Our only moment of drama was Mark’s broken crampon arriving just before Camp 1. But, we were able to establish Camp 1, setting up our North Face Tents and readying ourselves for a carry up to Camp II. More to come, Phil Crampton.

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #4, July 7th 2007

The weather on the morning of the 5th foiled my plan to climb up to camp I. I met with the leaders of the Australian and Spanish expeditions for breakfast at 2:00am and collectively we decided that the conditions were not the ideal to travel through the icefall and cwm that morning. There had been snowfall from midnight onwards and the winds had been steadily increasing so we decided to take a rest day.

The weather improved later in the day much to our surprise and going against all forecasts we had received. Eric Mark and myself decided to climb to camp I and we departed basecamp at 4:00am on the morning of the 6th. By 4:30am it was daylight and we were making our way through the heavily crevassed icefall. Both Mark and Eric stated that the crevasses here are much larger than any that they had seen on Denali. We reached the ABC camp or Camp .5 and Eric decided that this was far enough for him for the day. Mark and myself continued to camp I and dropped off a load of tents and food.

We are still without our high altitude porter, as his climbing gear has still not arrived from Concordia. The porters have gone on strike, which is not uncommon here in the Karokoram and we are still minus one barrel of gear. We are doing much better than some others, as the catlans are still missing three loads of high altitude gear and the New Zealanders that have been here for ten days are still missing the majority of their gear which is hindering their progress on the mountain.

Last night we received some heavy snow at basecamp and it has continued to snow throughout the day, so we will wait for the forecast before making our next move. If the forecast is good we will climb and sleep at camp I on the 9th and 10th and explore the route and climb to camp II if the conditions are favorable. More to come soon, Phil Crampton.

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #3

July 4th! but no fireworks in the Karakoram, however we were fortunate enough to have a good weather day and see K2, Broad peak Gasherbrum V, IV, and I as well as many other peaks on our trek to concordia. Today July 5th we arrived at basecamp and quickly jumped to the task of establishing a great camp! We were visited by friends from an Australian expedition who have been at basecamp for three weeks and are frustrated with the bad weather they have been experiencing. Tomorrow Erik and Mark will take a well deserved rest day, while I and a high altitude porter will carry loads through the icefall to camp I. We will have breakfast at 2:00am with the Australian group as to not wake our cooking staff and will start the climb there soon after. The Mountain Madness porter health clinic is officially closed for the expedition, we have treated over 35 porters on our trek in with the most serious injury being a porter with severely gashed fingers from loading a horse. The weather forecast predicts overcast skies two days from now so hopefully the high altitude porter and I will be down before then. That's all for now!

Phil Crampton.

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #2

Today we have a rest at the payu campground 3325M. This was followed by a 7 hour jeep ride to askoli where we camped for the night. Eric Mark and I are all in good health and setting a good pace to Gasherbrum basecamp in anticipation for the climbing ahead of us. We are trekking in with a catalyn group with whom we shared the jeep from islamabad with. They are now a group of five for one of their team descended because of mild Pulmadary edema and is descended to askoli and has departed their expedition. They are very keen to eduacate us on the difference between the catalyn and spanish language much to the delight of Mark who likes to point out the similiarities of the two languages. Thats it for now from the Gasherbrum II expedition.

Phil Crampton

Gasherbrum II Expedition Dispatch #1

The Mountain Madness Gasherbrum II expedition started off with the arrival of Eric and Mark in Islamabad. Islamabad in the summer is always hot and we are looking forward to getting to higher elevations and cooler weather. The local Pakistani residents of Islamabad are very hospitable towards us and we feel safe here even though western media portrays Pakistan as a place one should not visit due to the safety factor. The Karakoram definitely rival the Himalayas for pure beauty and climbing objectives and is proven by the more than 100 expeditions signed in for expeditions in this region. Tomorrow, the 25th, we plan to drive the Chilath and then on to Skardu where we will spend two days and pack our gear for the porter loads. If all goes to plan, the 28th we will start our jeep drive to Askoli where we will start our trek to Gasherbrum base camp the following day. We hope to keep everyone informed with our progress throughout the expedition, that's all for now.

Phil Crampton

 

 

Millet One Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14 mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine Fit, and even lighter Expedition footwear for mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold.  NOTE US SIZES LISTED. See more here.

 

A cold weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura® upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand See more here.

 






 

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Atomic

   Big Agnes

   Black Diamond

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   Chaco

   Cloudveil

   Columbia
  
CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Exofficio

   FiveTen

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Gregory

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
  
Headlamps

   Hestra
  
Helmets

   Helly Hansen

   HighGear

   HornyToad
  
Ice Axes

   Julbo

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kelty

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Life is Good

   Lowa

   Lowe Alpine

   Lowepro

   Millet

   Motorola

   Mountain Hardwear

   Mountainsmith

   MSR

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Osprey

   Outdoor Research
  
Patagonia

   Pelican

   Petzl

   Prana

   Princeton Tec

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Royal Robbins

   Salomon

   Scarpa

   Scott

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Sterling Rope

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Teva

   Thermarest

   Trango

   Tool Logic

   Trekking Poles
  
Yaktrax
  
and more here

 



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2005 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it