Dear friends, The good news about resumption of normal relationship between
India and Pakistan may have already reached you through press and electronic
media. The confidence building measures agreed to be implemented by both
1. Opening of bus service between Delhi and Lahore, already in operation.
2. Resumption of air flights from January 1, 2004
3. Resumption of train service from two border points Wagah and Kokhrapar
and shipping between Karachi and Bombay which are being discussed.
4. Resumption of diplomatic ties at High Commission level and expansion of
5. Resumption of trade relations and grant of MFN status which is under
6. On Pakistan's initiative guns have been silenced on the LOC in Kashmir
and there is ceasefire in operation all along the Kashmir front up to the
7. A delegation of the European Parliament is also visiting Pakistan to
inspect the situation in Kashmir. Famous mountaineer Reinhold Messner is a
member of the delegation. Subsequently it will also visit the Indian occupied
Kashmir. These efforts are encouraging for peace in this region.
8. On top of all these measures, the Indian Prime Minister has
decided to attend the SAARC conference to be held in Islamabad in January
2004. The Indian PM has expressed his readiness to meet his Pakistani
counterpart which he was reluctant to do earlier.
These measures have ended the political tension between the two countries
and greatly improved the peace climate in the region.
Internally government has put a complete ban on religious extremist groups
and closed their offices in Pakistan and have frozen their funds in Pakistani
Meanwhile the British Airways in response to this bright outlook and in
expectation of increased travel to Pakistan from the UK and the Continent has
resumed its London-Islamabad flights from 01 December.
This is a very happy beginning and we are looking forward to a great boost
in tourism to this part of the world. We hope that with your cooperation these
prospects will materialize into real upturn in tourism in general and mountain
tourism in particular in Pakistan. I would request you to kindly spread the
With warm regards and good wishes for the new season.