Carlos has left us because of the end of his
leave and is currently on his way home.
Yesterday and tonight is another terrible storm swept over the base camp.
Luckily we have this time lost no tents. The sleepless night but still puts us
in the limbs.
In the next few days, the wind collapse a little. Therefore, we will march in
consultation with Charly Gabl again towards the mountain. The sky will be
cloudy in the coming days on the mountain and it will be extremely cold. On
Thursday, possibly on Friday it is forecast in the summit area of "only"
with winds 50km / h. This is reason enough for us, as far as we could. We feel
it all the way to the Austrian football size Krankl: "We have no chance, so we
So we are starting to rise tomorrow and try to reach the summit on Thursday.
Maybe we're lucky and we can surprise them with a positive message summit!
Keep your fingers crossed!
With best wishes from the base camp of Hidden Peak
Just (22.30 clock time) was the redeeming call
"I'm back at base camp," was the message. Audibly disappointed by the failed
attempt, the team wants to relax now for the first time from the rigors of the
day. "We have, through the fresh snow used for a long time to 6700m. The
Verfixen the last 100 meters in pimples hard ice lasted hours, we would have
to rise in the darkness of a further 200 meters to tomorrow a realistic chance
at the Summit. We do not want to take that risk, "said Gerfried further.
Therefore, the team has decided to abort.
In the meantime, all climbers are at base camp. What happens next remains to
be seen in the next few days.
Thank God nothing happened!
After countless failed attempts at conversation
via satellite phone, Ali Muhammad from Adventure Pakistan could tell us that
now all seven climbers have reached bearing 1 on schedule. They want to stick
to their plan and tomorrow climb to 6800m and set up camp 2, where the last
100 meters are still. We hope phone connection can be made again tomorrow.
There is still no good news from the Hidden Peak base camp.
Gerfried writes today clearly thoughtful about the meaning of his actions. The
situation is not easy for us all. This "Wait" has something very unnerving, it
is difficult for me to stay positive. However, my feeling tells me that they
will manage it this time! We'll see ..
A beautiful Carnival weekend greetings
Preparations for the promised storm
For days we had to wait because of the strong winds at the base camp. From
next Monday, but it will get significantly worse. Charly Gabl tells us ahead
in 7000 to 140 meters Maximum Gust km / h. So we must expect even here at base
camp with up to 100km / h.
Therefore, we used yesterday, Friday, a chance
for our mini camp 1 (6200m) in time break down and fix. Tamara and Darek
scrambled on Thursday to sleep at camp 1 streaky weather to get there. Cedric
and I wanted to test our Akklimatisationsstand and had planned to ascend as
quickly as possible. Shortly after six clock we started yesterday morning
followed by Nisar and Alex. Despite the extreme cold of -30 ° Cedric and I
were very fast pace of our journey. Equally, we went on. Dot clock 11:00,
after less than five hours climbing time, greeted us in camp 1 Darek and
Tamara visibly surprised with hot tea. Secretly I had hoped, and Cedric, the
last 100 meters to the ridge to insure at 6800m with ropes. Despite good
shape, unfortunately, another climb because of the strong wind had no meaning.
So we passed the time by Nisar and Alex reached the camp with a few shots and
tests with the GoPro camera.
Then we took down the tent and fixed all the materials so that we can because
of the rising storm, do not suffer losses. Satisfied with the result the whole
team rose to the base camp. Today and tomorrow we will be here together with
the Polish group led by Artur Hajzer with which we see ourselves and our
excellent base camp to share, set up on the storm, ie additionally secure the
How are you otherwise?
Physically, I feel strong and ready for our big
goal for many years for my project. Our kitchen team will spoil us almost
Pakistan, and this effort is unlikely, despite the wintry conditions.
On the other hand: the last time I was on 12
January showered, it is constantly cold, my toes feel numb at times like a
foreign body, in February we have seen almost no sun.
Everyone can probably empathize with how it goes in as one of a situation!
Basically, we are ready for a summit climb, the
steepest parts of the route are almost all covered with ropes, enough material
is on the mountain, the team is working very well work. The height of the
storms that we hear constantly gurgle over our heads, oppress, but the mood
and motivation. Now the tedious and frustrating game of winter begins in the
Karakorum, we must wait and hope for a chance at all. We still have more than
one month, but already here who want to "cook" in the cold and give up their
loved ones at home? And I must confess, I sometimes curse myself that I will
do that of my family. I miss my two little, adorable daughters and my patient,
but now also been very stressed woman. Each phone conversation with my older
daughter Hannah, who keeps asking when I'm FINALLY back home is like a punch
in the stomach. It's beautiful her voice heard, but depressing to fulfill
their wishes can not do. These are inevitably the dark side of my life. Is it
possible to adventure and the desire for a "normal" family life ever be
The bad news for last: As it stands now is not
a potential climb to the summit can take place before the beginning of March!
With best wishes from the base camp of Hidden
On Wednesday, the 8th February, we left early
in the morning towards the mountain. After the recent snowfall and strong
Wind, Nisar and I very seriously, we had some traces of knee-deep snow in Camp
1 (6200m) . Of course, the we had heavy backpacks on our shoulders because we
now had to also carry all the equipment and food for a night at Camp 1
(6200m). Nevertheless, we achieved very quickly in the early afternoon after
only seven hours to the place of the camp. The first tent was set up
relatively quickly and fixed in ice, but we also had Tamara and Darek that
would later come to us. Therefore, we started with the unhooking of a second
bivouac place. Soon we had to change our original plans. We would make it
impossible, despite intensive work on the same day a flat surface for Darek,
Tamara and Nisar to hook out of the ice. Nisar for the night so had to pull me
in close and Cedric tent. Even then, the sleeping space for our Polish friends
is an abomination. A In a few centimeters, they lay together in a sleeping
bag, secured even at night with a harness to a rope. . But Cedric, Nisar and I
spent a rough night at approximately -35 °, due to the acute shortage of space
had to sleep or to a regulated food intake of the question. Cedric and I have
in these two days virtually had not eaten or drunk.
As predicted by Charly Gabl the next day we had
a wonderful sunrise and a cold, but sunny and windless day ahead of us. It was
not until we were finally able to peel out the sleeping bags packed and we
ascended with fixed ropes on. Cedric rose again skillfully over steep cliffs
and Eisflanken, Nisar and I provide him with ropes and filmed as best I could.
Tamara now built their tent again and enlarged the platform , they dried in
the sun as agreed our sleeping bags and iced tea delicious ice . After
strenuous work in the late afternoon we reached a height of 6650 meters. But
it was too late to reach the end of the wall, we finally had that very day
descend to base camp as Alex and Carlos planned, taking our place in the tent.
, after sufficient fixing material and 400 feet of rope landfill, we started
our rappel on the wall. Shortly after sunset we reached camp 1, at the same
time increased the Spaniard, coming from the base camp, from the ridge. After
rapid packing our stuff and congratulations to Alex and Carlos went on down to
the base of the wall. Exhausted, but satisfied with our achievements, we
stumbled shortly before 20:00 clock to base camp. For hours we filled our
store and talked about their experiences. Despite the hardships, we feel it
will be traveling as a special privilege, on this mountain, and under these
circumstances on a new route may be.
Today Alex and Carlos to get on and try to
promote the route. Whether they can succeed in getting out of the wall at 6800
Hidden Peak With best wishes from the base camp
of Hidden Peak
Set up base camp and route to 5650m already
Two days earlier than planned, we reached with the help of the strong
Pakistani support and a perfect organization of our agency's Pakistan
Adventure been the base camp of Hidden Peak at 5,000 meters. also by fair
means . I am happy that we have the base camp without assistance of a
helicopter, thus attained by fair means.
As the weather looked pretty good for winter conditions and we also felt we
were preparing ourselves fit even on the Sunday prior to the march. Hussain
and I yesterday before the base camp was set up correctly the direction of our
new route for a first reconnaissance trip on. Despite lower trace Cedric and I
were able to work their way through the glacier to the foot of the wall and
find more. After six hours of hard, but perfect collaboration we had moved 500
meters fixed rope and already reached a height of 5650 meters. We deposited an
additional 500 feet of rope and fixing as ice screws, pitons, ice axes and
slings. Tired, but happy we arrived at nightfall our base camp.
Darek and I were filming where she could, so we will soon be able to send
Today Alex and Carlos get on the route to pursue. . Tomorrow is back to work
my team on the mountain. I am very confident that we can already exceed a
height of 6000 meters.
As quickly as it currently precedes I would have imagined in my wildest
dreams, can not, but I know that God will bring the winter and the Hidden Peak
was a completely different face!
With warm greetings from the base camp of Hidden Peak
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.