31 October -
Yesterday Henri, Kirk and Kunnar left base camp and started their walk back to
Lukla and their way back to Kathmandu. They should be in on Lukla on the 1st
and fly back to Kathmandu on the 2nd if the weather allows.
Yesterday Mike and Jenifer set off for their summit attempt also, but
unfortunately they decided to stop and instead of heading for the summit, just
retrieve their gear from camp 1 and camp 2.
Tomorrow Dimitri, Jenifer, Mike and me will start our walk back to Lukla and
will be there on the 3rd and fly back to Kathmandu the next day.
We have some new arrivals in Base Camp. Hector and Miguel from Mexico arrived
on the 28th and already made a carry to Camp 1. Today they will sleep there
and climb higher the next couple of days to finish their acclimatization.
Also Michael and Geoffrey from Australia arrived in Base Camp on the 28th.
They will be shearing our base camp, but do their own thing on the mountain.
Yesterday they already slept in camp 1 and also stay up to finish their
Maaike from the Netherlands also arrived in Base Camp and is on her way to ABC
today together with her Sherpa Gayljin for an acclimatization hike.
So everything is fine here and the weather is still very good.
Here are some facts about the Summits so far.
Henri Geller, Luxembourg, Summit 28 October 10:30am
Kunnar Karu, Estonia, Summit 28 October 10:30am
Arnold Coster, the Netherlands, Summit 28 October 10:30am
Jangbu Sherpa, Nepal, Summit 28 October 10:30am
Dimitri Nichiporav, Russia, Summit 28 October 11:30am
Gayljin Sherpa, Nepal, Summit 28 October 11:30 am
Unfortunately Kirk Reynolds turned around at around 6700m on his summit push
together with Palden Sherpa.
Arnold Coster, expedition Leader
29 October -
First team summits!
28 October -
First team going for the summit!
26 October -
Hello SummitClimb News, this is Arnold Coster the leader of the Ama Dablam
Expedition calling from Camp 1 at 5700 metres. I’m sitting here in our kitchen
tent and just finished a delicious meal which our Sherpas made for us. Camp 1
is very comfortable.
We have some good news. Today we set off for our first summit attempt. Going
for this summit attempt is Dimitri, Henri, Kirk, Kunnar and me along with
Janbu, Palden and Gyalze Sherpa.
The plan is that tonight we’ll sleep in Camp 1. Tomorrow we hope to reach Camp
2 at 5950m and rest there all day because we will be there early in the
morning and in the middle of the night we’ll set off for our summit push. Tthe
plan is to summit on the 28th if everything goes well.
Then we have a second summit party with Mike and Jennifer and Ang Dorjee
Sherpa. They just need a bit more time to rest which is no problem because we
still have a lot of time on our expedition. We hope to see them the next day
and they’re hopefully going to summit one day behind us.
I’ll keep you updated; tomorrow we’re going for camp two. That’s all for now
After a long day of climbing most us the team
returned back in Base Camp today. The night before we all slept in Camp 1 at
5700m and the next morning we set off to explore and make a carry to camp 2.
The route to camp 2 is very interesting. It's all rock climbing on very good
quality rock. The route traverses along ledges to avoid most of the
difficulties, but just before camp 2 there is a big structure called the
yellow tower. This tower can't be avoided and is the crux of the whole climb.
If you would have to free climb this pitch it would be quite a challenge, but
with the use of fixed ropes it is a lot easier. Specially if you carry a pack.
The whole team was able to climb this section without big problems.
Now are back in base. Our acclimatization is finished. We will rest and
recover here and try to choose the right day for our summit push.
High Altitude Greetings,
Arnold Coster, Expedition leader
21 October –
Hello! This is Jennifer Bohn giving a shout out from basecamp, Ama Dablam. Our
expedition is going very well. Weather is very good & our leader, Arnold is
fantastic! His laugh alone is enough to inspire you up the mountain. Today is
a rest day in BC. Tomorrow we hike up to Camp 1 again. We are on schedule if
not a little bit ahead. Sending love to everyone at home! Peace out or Nameste
as they say.
18 October –
We did our acclimatization hike to advanced Base Camp today at 5300m. The
whole team is strong and make it in good time up there. The weather is nice,
but a bit cold and windy. Today also our staff pitched our tents and kitchen
Tomorrow we will have our Base Camp Puja and after lunch we will head back up
and spend our first night on the mountain. We will try to reach Camp 1 and
then come back down for a rest in Base Camp again.
Looking forward to get more close to the route,
Arnold Coster, Expedition leader
17 October –
Today we had a day of training in Base Camp. In the morning we went over the
usage off the Gamov bag, this is a portable compression chamber we can use to
treat altitude sickness. It very easy to use and an important part of our
After lunch we had some rope practice on one off the rock above base camp. We
just reviewed some ascending and rappelling techniques to make sure we are all
on the same pass.
Tomorrow we will do our acclimatization hike to Advanced Base Camp and return
back to Base Camp again. Followed by our Base Camp puja the next day.
So all is well,
Greetings, Arnold Coster Expedition Leader.
16 October -
This morning we had our expedition blessed by Lama Geshi in Pangboche.
Traditionally all expedition who pass Pangboche visit this Lama, a Buddhist
high priest. He reads a special prayer for our expedition to explain the
mountain god of Ama Dablam that we will do no harm.
Our equipment and personal luggage left early this morning on Yaks to Base
Camp, so when we arrived in the camp it was already set up.
Our cook Dorje cooked us a delicious fresh meal and our first dinner in our
Tomorrow we will do some rope practice in Base camp, just to review our skills
and a little bit of exercise to improve our acclimatization.
The team is strong and everybody is doing well.
Arnold Coster, expedition leader
15 October -
The 12th we left Kathmandu, it was a long wait due to weather on the airport
before we finally took off and flew to Lukla.
There was a small gap in the clouds and Lukla airport opened briefly in the
afternoon, just enough time to get us there and start our expedition.
The same day we still managed to walk to Phakding and spend our first night in
The next morning we woke up early for our hike to Namche Bazar. It’s a
beautifull walk true the pine forest alongside the Duth Koshi river.
Just before Namche the trail goes up a long hill before we reach namche.
Namche is the Sherpa capital in Nepal, it’s a nice place to hang out and has
many shops, restaurants, bakeries etc
Today we walked to the Everest view point and had our first view on Everest
and Ama Dablam.
Tomorrow the Ama Dablam and Island peak groups will go separate ways. Both
expeditions will dispatch separate about their trip.
This is it for now,
Arnold coster, expedition leader Ama Dablam
Arnold Coster (Leader), Netherland
James Michael Daniels, USA
Ms. Jennifer Louise Bohn, USA
Avraham Zeevi, Israel
Dmitri Nichiporov , Russia
Kunnar Karu, Estonia
Richard Thomas Maybank, UK
Thomas Pfeiffer, Germany
Kirk Alfred Reynolds, USA
Henri Geller, Luxembourg
Miguel Cruz y Celis, Mexico
Hector Mario Ponce de Leon Gomez, Mexico
Geoffrey Allen Gibson, Australia
Michael Anthony Jackson, Australia
Ms. Marigje E. Braat, Netherland
Gyalze Sherpa – Climbing Sherpa
Palden Sherpa – Climbing Sherpa
Jangbu Sherpa – Climbing Sherpa
Ang Dorjee Sherpa – Climbing Sherpa
Thile Sherpa – BaseCamp Manager
Nima Dorjee Lama - Cook
Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude
and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14
mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a
makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine
Fit, and even lighter
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
See more here.